Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Ones That Get Away

"Fog" -  Mixed Media Collage - 4x6

I'm often asked if it makes me sad when I sell one of my pieces of artwork. The answer to that is "no"! In fact, I'm very, very happy!!!

Every once in awhile though, there will be one that I'm either just as happy when it doesn't sell or a little nostalgic when it does. Fog (from which I've designed the current blog banner) is one of those pieces.

Fog came about when I was asked by my gallery rep to make a bunch of small, unframed collages to sell at a reasonable price. They ended up being some of my most successful pieces. Out of the series, Fog was my favorite. Its cool tones were very different from the warm tones I normally use. And I just loved the little spot of gold leaf in the middle of the fossil leaf. Oddly enough, it didn't sell for a long time and I was secretly delighted. I was planning on how I was going to frame it and where I was going to hang it. And just when I made up my mind to retrieve it permanently from the gallery, I was told it sold. Ahh, mixed feelings indeed.

4 comments:

Lorraine Z said...

It is indeed a wonderful piece of art. I would have posted a picture here, but I don't know how to move a picture from Picasa to a blog. So I sent you an email -- be sure to check your gmail inbox.

Anonymous said...

Aaaaahhhh!!!! Lorraine!!! I'm so excited! I had no idea that you're the one who bought Fog! And I love the way you've framed it. Did Elizabeth do the framing?

That's too much!

Thanks again for all your support!

Susan Williamson said...

What a great piece of art! I read a quote by Bob Proctor a few months ago, and he said that if you really love something, you should give it away. I've thought a lot about those words since, and the only conclusion I've come to is that it's much easier for me to give away or sell my work now because I know there's more where it came from.

Anonymous said...

Well said, Susan. And thanks for visiting. Hope things are well with you and your family.