Friday, May 18, 2012

Maximum Flight

"Maximum Flight" - 4x12 - Mixed Media CollageAvailable on Etsy
On Monday, May 7, I received a text message that my daughter-in-law was in labor and I hastily packed a bag and drove 90 miles to be there when my grandson, Max, was delivered early the next morning.

When I returned, home (a week later) I saw the piece I was working on when I got the call still lying on my work table and decided to name it in honor of my new grandson.

On the flip side of the emotional coin, before returning home from Maryland, I swung up through Pennsylvania to pick up artwork from the Yellow Springs show. This show has always been very successful for me, so it was a kick in the gut to discover that this year I sold nothing except for one bin piece. After commission and the price of gas to make the 230 mile round trip twice (once to drop off; once to pick up) not to mention the time spent... well it's probably a loss.

In the world of art, nothing is guaranteed and counting your chickens before they hatch is certainly a dangerous proposition. And things go in runs, as well, and I think I've had a very good run there and have certainly enjoyed my experience working with the enthusiastic volunteers at Yellow Springs.

So for now, I'm going to focus on local venues and trying to promote sales in this area. crabulous fine art is getting ready to embark on its first ever season of outdoor shows and festivals, so it will be a whole new adventure.


2 comments:

Cmichaudart said...

Good luck...I just mailed in the $$ and app for my first street fair as well...a tad nervous is an understatement!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you, too, Cindy. You'll have to let me know how it goes.