Sunday, April 26, 2015

Just Call Me Crash

"The Rental Car" enhanced digital photo
Before I moved to Savannah, my last traffic accident was in 1996. Since moving here two years ago, I've had three. This last one may cause me to say good-bye to "her Jeepness." We've been together for 11 years and more than 158,000 miles. Because she's a Grand Cherokee and because I kept her in such great shape, she still looked good and drove well. However, a month ago, someone in a commercial van slammed into the back of me and shoved me into the vehicle in front of me. At first glance, only my front and rear bumpers appeared to be cracked; but, I noticed that the doors were not closing like they should. At second glance, it was discovered that my frame was bent. Ahhh. I don't like that at all. For the past 12 days, her Jeepness has been at the body shop, taken all apart and awaiting the insurance appraiser to come for another look. Preliminary repair estimates are in excess of $8,000. The book value of my vehicle? Well 11 years old and over 150,000 miles? I'm sure you're getting the picture.

Meanwhile, for the past 12 days, I've been driving this nifty little 2015 Hyundai Accent hatchback, courtesy of the insurance company of the man who hit me, and I've been enjoying it. It's very different for me since I've driven SUV's since 1990 (well with the exception of a mini-van for a few years). I'm enjoying the ease of parking and the good gas mileage. Even Wishes seems to like it. 

I don't know what my automotive future looks like, but right now I'm having fun imagining it.

No comments: