Sunday, September 19, 2010

Art Journal - Mixed Media Collage



One of the things I miss most, because I'm working at a full time job outside my studio, is the opportunity to just "play" in my studio. Whenever I do get a chance to get to my studio I'm usually worried about deadlines and other art obligations. 

I date all of my journal pages and noticed I hadn't made any entries since May 26th and realized that I was feeling very edgy. Through the months, I have been collecting things and they were lying in between the open pages, just waiting to be glued and I found a moment this evening to play.

Today's entry began with a doily and a muffin paper that have been waiting to become art since Mother's Day. My youngest son bought me a fruit tart as a special treat on that occasion and that's where those first layers came from. 

You probably recognize the black and white version of "Jane." This print came from an earlier experimental version before I printed her out on watercolor paper for the final collage. And I'm sure that some of you detected a spare "French curve" from the recent "Northern Lights." This particular curve was facing in the "wrong" direction so it didn't make the final cut for the finished collage, but instead got tossed into the journal.

And yes, there's a fortune from a fortune cookie that I had been saving and then, while cleaning my desk in my office today, accidentally threw it away. My search for it through the trash can became a single minded obsession this afternoon. It reads "Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions." OK, more of a proverb than a fortune, but I like it.

One of my many scrap paper collage hearts is featured here and... a brand new rubber stamp that I bought on clearance while I happened to be walking through Michael's today. Seriously, I just happened to be walking through. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.) I stamped it through various color inks, outlined it in Sharpies and then embossed it with a couple of different embossing powders.

My art journal is my ultimate creative outlet. I experiment with it using new materials and methods, I create very "stream of consciousness" images in it and, every once in a blue moon, what I create becomes the prototype for something bigger. When I'm feeling melancholy and just generally frustrated with life, playing in my journal soothes me and renews my spirit.

This magical book was made for me by my youngest son, Garrett, who is also an artist. He used my very, very favorite paper for the pages (Rives BFK in tan; you can do anything with this paper). And whenever he comes to visit he enjoys glancing through my journal because it reveals a side of me that very few people ever get to see. 

So now, after allowing myself to "play", I feel mentally well rested and ready to take on the world come Monday morning.

4 comments:

Sally Dean said...

It's hard to balance job and art- I only work 3 days a week but really feel I also feel edgy if icant create every day!
Sometimes I get up at 5 to paint, or pack my stuff to go out after work-but its challenging!
I love the collage piece.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Sally. I appreciate your comments and admire the fact that you really make time to create art. It's nice to know that someone else understands the edginess, too.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Oh I was thinking of my Sally while I was reading your post. She's our local all around, can do anything, artist. I agree that when an artist is jammed from not creating it creates anxiety. It does with me.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to get to know you and your whole group of artist friends, Mary. You all seem like such a talented group of creative ladies.