Monday, March 21, 2011

"Blue Bathing Lady" - Digital Collage


Yes, I know. You've seen her before. She is probably my favorite piece of garden statuary. And she probably has a formal name, too. I just don't know what it is.


Five years ago, out of the blue, I was invited by a complete stranger to spend a week in Gibraltar Gardens in downtown Wilmington, Delaware to spend a week as a special guest artist. That stranger has since become a very special friend, Connie Ripper. 

Although I only lived a few miles away, just across the state line, I had never before heard of Gibraltar Gardens. But I soon discovered that it is one of the best kept secrets in that city. Stepping into the gardens is like stepping into a European country. Over the course of the week I spent there, I made some sketches, did an interview with a local magazine, and took over 200 photos. There were about a dozen artists invited to be guests over the course of the summer and in return we all contributed a piece of art inspired by the gardens to be sold at silent auction as a fund raiser for Gibraltar.

I have made a number of collages with the garden images as my inspiration, but I've especially used this fountain, which I photographed from all angles. 

Below is the image I created on Bomomo.com which I used as the background for this collage. The dragonflies came from various other collages of mine, too.

Also below are two mixed media collages featuring my bathing lady as the subject. And, as you can see, she's the subject of my blog banner this month as well.

It may very well be that I overuse her, but I never get tired of looking at her.

"Garden Fountain" 5x7 Mixed Media Collage
"Lady Fountain" 8x10 Mixed Media Collage

2 comments:

Lorraine Z said...

I'm ashamed to say that I have lived in New Castle County for 13 years and have yet to visit Gibraltar. But I will now!

Anonymous said...

When you go, Lorraine, make sure you introduce yourself to my friend, Connie.