Friday, May 3, 2013

I Can Dream, Can't I?



By now, you all know how I love older, cottagey homes and I tend to seek them out whenever they are open to the public. I'm also enchanted by the local, historic fishing community known as Thunderbolt. It's eclectic nature holds such an appeal for the heart of an artist and this little house which is currently on the market really hit home with me. Built in the late 1800's, it's architectural plan is very typical of small, older southern homes. One story, but with very high ceilings. Since heat rises, the high ceilings were a must in order to help the house seem cooler in the intense southern heat. Covered porches on the front and back added to the cooling effect.

This house has been lovingly restored, keeping the original floors, walls and woodwork, but modernized in other aspects to make it liveable. I wish my photo of the central hallway had turned out because it is spacious enough to be a room all in itself. Although the house is only 1500 square feet, the floor plan feels spacious, open and airy. And, of course, I can't resist sharing my photos with you!



Not one, not two, but four fireplaces enhance this cottage!



It's very hard to resist the charm of a claw foot tub.

The built in banquette is a welcome and spacious addition to the kitchen.

The kitchen is small but extremely functional.

What can I say? You know how I love porches! That's a kumquat tree in full fruit next to the porch.

View of the rear of the house.


No comments: