Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Blank Canvas... Again

When I first started painting at the ripe old age of 39, a blank canvas was something I feared. I was terrified to begin. What if I make a mistake? What if I don't like what I paint? Then I finally asked myself the best question of all, What's the worst that can happen? And the answer to that was, you just wipe it all out or cover it up with a coat of gesso, and start all over again.

After that, a blank canvas represented a new journey and I could face it with a sense of excitement. 

Currently, this blank canvas is the largest I've ever worked with. I typically work on small canvases, but this is a painting that my mother has commissioned and she has asked that it be 30" x 40".  So, this larger size has me super excited! 

I'll share with you the steps that I take to cover this canvas; even if it turns out to be something I don't like and I have to "erase" it and start all over again. 


No comments: