Monday, January 3, 2011

Another One Bites the Dust

 I got sad news today in the mail. Studio 432, the gallery in Perryville, Maryland, which has represented me for the past couple of years, closed its doors on Christmas Eve. The news was made bittersweet by the inclusion of my last commission check. Oh, how I'll miss that funky, colorful converted church and all the eclectic, creative artists who exhibited therein. 
 
What makes it worse, is that on that same day, Christmas Eve, Thistles, the gallery which has represented me in Lewes, Delaware for the past three years, closed its doors, too. 

So, for the first time in many years, I find myself without gallery representation, and I think I won't be looking for any either. I believe we've come to an end of an era. I've been watching little individual galleries close their doors, one by one, for the past five years now. And I've been reading the predictions of their failings in trade magazines for a long time.

So, most likely, I'll be immersing myself into e-commerce and selling my artwork through Etsy or whatever else is out there. I'm sighing deeply as I write this, because I loved having someone else doing the promoting and selling. I loved being the "star" of special gallery exhibits and I truly loved the relationships I developed with the gallery owners who all became very dear friends of mine. 

And it's sad to see galleries disappearing from the retail market. Art viewed online is nothing like seeing it "in person." Its very tactile quality disappears on a computer screen. 

I don't know what the future of my art sales looks like, but I do know this; the closing of the galleries will not prevent me from creating more art.

5 comments:

Susan Williamson said...

I know you must be feeling sad, but with your talent, I believe the future is definitely assured for you. All the best in 2011.xxxS

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Susan.

Anonymous said...

Ditto for me Kris. I was so saddened by Sue's letter after just spending my final day at Thistles last Wednesday. I only had one piece left there and as I was preparing to take it to the car, a woman came in and asked if is was the one that had been in the window the previous week and had I bought it. Allan introduced me as the artist and the woman purchased it on the spot. It was the most bittersweet sale I have ever had. We need to find somewhere else to peddle our creations.
Susan Amadio
Amadioartworks.com

Lorraine Z said...

As someone who collects art and loves going to galleries to see different works, I share your sense of loss. A gallery can exhibit works in different styles and media and a knowledgeable gallery owner/staffer can be such a help. But your work is so wonderful it will always find a market. Keep the faith!!

Anonymous said...

Susan A., I'm sure some opportunity lies ahead for us, but for right now I appreciate that you know what I'm feeling.

And Lorraine, you're right about a knowledgeable gallery owner. Remember Elizabeth Torregrossa at East of the Bay? She was my best spokesperson. She would ask me a zillion questions about my artwork, but then, in turn, she was able to educate her customers and make a sale. I was very sad when she closed, too. :(