Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Steps 7 - 11


Unfinished, still unnamed, mixed media collage 16 x 20

It's coming together and I'm feeling encouraged. I took this photo after I splattered the metallic gold wash but before I started applying the varnish. I typically apply 3 layers; two gloss and one matte, and more if needed. I love to watch the varnish interact with the papers. Some papers become more translucent; others become deeper and richer in color. Some will bleed if I'm not careful and sometimes that bleed is desirable. I've come to know what to expect from each of the papers, but sometimes I'm surprised. And I'm always delighted to watch the transformation.

Once the varnish has dried I need to go back in and add textural details. I'm still going down to the wire.

3 comments:

SUSAN RODEN said...

Going to be beautiful Kristeena! Love the depth.

Anonymous said...

I love too!
DN

Anonymous said...

Thank you both for your encouragement along the way.