Sunday, January 9, 2011

"Drizzles" by Artist Susan Roden


In the past 18 months that I have been utilizing social networking, I have met the most amazing artists online. Their collective talents awe and inspire me and I love to share their work with others.

Susan Roden's work has recently come to my attention. First and foremost, I find her use of color wonderfully unique and energetic. Her paintings come alive. 

Today, the image above popped up on my computer screen and again I was struck by Susan's use of color. But what really captured my attention was the way she used those wonderful colors in depicting the cupcake paper. What a boring mundane thing a cupcake wrapper is in real life and look at the character Susan has bestowed upon it.

And for me, it brought home a significant point and that is, as painters, it is not incumbent upon us to depict the world as it really is. That's the job of photo journalists. As painters, it is our duty to feature the world as it should be; as we'd like to see it, or as we see it in our mind's eye. It is our duty to give beauty and charm to the homely and not so charming. To bring color to a colorless world.

And, Susan Roden does that spectacularly!



2 comments:

SUSAN RODEN said...

Is there ever enough color out there? When observing a painting subject closely, I actually see the added colors, such as purples, blues and greens in shadows to depict the tonal range.

Thank you for such eloquent words Kristeena!.

Anonymous said...

My pleasure, Susan! I meant every single one!